Friday, April 18, 2008

Illustration Friday - Primitive


I love this weeks theme at Illustration Friday, it is so wide open for interpretation! As soon as I read it, I knew what I had to submit, "Leopard Gaze". 
For me, I have always been drawn to eyes... in people and in animals. They are interesting - different shapes, different colors, different expressions. When working on an illustration that involves an animal, I always pay careful attention to the eyes and strive to create a connection with the audience through their gaze. In my opinion wild animals, especially the big cats, have eyes that are extremely primitive... how can you prevent being drawn to such a spectacular gaze? I hope this illustration brings about a sense of awe regarding this very primitive, yet very beautiful creature.

9 comments:

Candace Trew Camling said...

nice job on the IF entry. I love the eyes.

Teresa said...

very nice!

Margaret Ann said...

Gorgeous eyes...very focused! :)

Dot said...

very cool! i love eyes as well...

studio lolo said...

No wonder you commented on my kitty post :)
These eyes are mesmerizing! Whenever I paint an animal (which is often) I always finish the eyes first. That way I feel they help guide me to complete the rest of them.

Bee said...

Beautiful work and what wonderful eyes. I think your dinosaur (below) is great too and also fits the topic well!

Diana Evans said...

wow...this is lovely...the eyes ...I am so behind these days and it appears I have missed a lot of great posts....catching up...

neil said...

I do feel the same about the eyes of certain animals Lisa. They do bring out the primitive instincts in oneself (mainly terror!) An excellent illustration with a mesmerising subject, well done!

Bobo Cat said...

Well, I feel he's deliver some messages thru his eyes! Stop hunting? Maybe!