Friday, April 11, 2008

seal watercolor illustration


I decided to post this illustration I had done regarding the plight of young seals and the market for their fur. I read online recently, that animal rights groups have actually begun to spray paint the fur of pup seals in the hopes of saving them from being killed. The spray paint doesn't harm these sweet creatures but it does ruin the chances of selling their fur. Honestly, this whole scenario of hunting these harmless creatures is beyond my understanding. 

This illustration is now being highlighted for a Save the Seals campaign on panettiereclosest.com. I urge you to take a peak at this website, as all the proceeds are used to help promote animal awareness, with a focus on whales and seals. 

I had a great teacher in college who once posed a question to his art students. As an artist do you view yourself as a "hammer" or a "Lipstick"? The hammer being the artist who goes into the world creating artwork that is a visual commentary on the world around him/her. The lipstick is the artist who prefers to decorate the world with their imagery. I often find myself torn between the two... so I guess that would make me a "Glossed Hammer". ;)

3 comments:

lucky said...

Very nice use of watercolor!
Great job!

Have a great day
and thanks for the comment!

Denise

Diana Evans said...

Hi Lisa...this piece is wonderful and I love that your work is helping with the seals...I have to agree with you that I don't understand why humans do this...

So happy your art is promoting awareness...

I posted a seal last Friday for the same reasons....

Margaret Ann said...

I guess I'm a glossy hammer as well...interesting outlook...awesome seal! :)