Thursday, May 29, 2008

Day 14 of challenge & I've been Tagged!

I love vacationing on a lake or near a beach. It is so peaceful to be near a body of water, enjoying it all day long and then relaxing by it at night. While I prefer swimming in a lake, I do enjoy combing the tide pools on a beach searching for little treasures. 

Collecting shells is something I have done since childhood living minutes from the coast in Maine. Now, it is something to enjoy with my own children. I leave our treasures in baskets and dishes, or near the tub, as small reminders of our days at the shore.

This pen & ink illustration is a tribute to my favorite beach find, a starfish. They are becoming harder and harder to find along the Maine shores but when I do, I consider it a lucky omen. We never take a starfish home, but enjoy gazing upon it's natural splendor. Color was added in Photoshop... again trying my hand at this digital medium.

I've Been TAGGED by Fannie!
Fannie at Imagine, Create and Inspire creates the most beautiful pieces of fabric art. What she can do with some paint, fabric, and other embellishments is truly inspiring. She has tagged me to post Six Unimportant Things About Me and then tag 6 more blogging buddies to participate. 

Seeing that this is my first tag, I am really excited to participate! Here goes.... 
1. I have a fear of flying. Love the idea of travel... hate the idea of needing to fly to get there. I will be really excited when a new mode of transportation is invented so that I can visit Australia one day.

2. I am a red carpet junkie. LOVE award seasons. It is a guilty pleasure for me. I tune into E! and watch all the stars line the red carpet on their way into the Kodak Theatre. The Golden Globes top my list of favorite award shows.

3. When I was 13, I was chosen out of a crowd of people at a amusement/animal park in Canada to come up on stage with the trainers and pet dolphins! Still a huge highlight of my life (I have since swam with the dolphins as well). They felt like slick inner tubes and were just the most amazing creatures. I was given an inflatable dolphin as a souvenir from one of the trainers. I still have the dolphin, but it has a hole in it and can't inflate... still I won't let hubby throw it away.

4. At my daughters school I am a co-chair for the Reflections Art Program, which is a PTA sponsored cultural art program that encourages students to participate in the arts. Each year there is a new theme given. The new theme for the upcoming program is "WOW!" It is amazing to see what the students come up with every year and how excited they are to view their artwork in the town Reflections exhibit. A lot of work, but so much fun!

5. I once made a boyfriend pull over to the side of the road and "rescue" a turtle that was in the middle of a busy road. He ran out, grabbed it and brought it into his corvette (which was his pride and joy). I was happy thinking we had saved the turtles life... the next day, the turtle ended up walking all the way back to the spot we had originally found him.

Hard to choose who to tag next but here are a few fellow artists that have blogs I enjoy visiting as often as I can. Have fun playing... and as Fannie mentioned, this is totally voluntary.

9 comments:

Candace Trew Camling said...

this looks like an interesting one! I'll try to think this over a bit!

NANCY LEFKO said...

OK...I'll have to think on this one...I don't want to list any of the useless trivia about myself that I have already shared :) and BTW...your starfish is great and I too love the coast of Maine....we vacation in Kennebunkport every summer....lots of great memories....and shells !!

Lisa M Griffin said...

I used to work in Kennebunkport right off of Dock Square in one of the gift shops. I just love that area.

Diana Evans said...

oh what a great post Lisa...firstly I love your star fish and the fact that your art for the creative exercise is all of your favorite things is amazing....I have collected shells forever too...the most amazing time I ever had on my shell hunts was on Captiva Island ...the shell capital of the world...my husband kept telling me to calm down as I was freaking out at each and every shell I picked up...amazing stuff...I will have to take them out and perhaps do some sketches of them one day....

This was an awesome post...and I love learning more about you...

hugs
Diana

so nice to read your 6 items...

Forever Young said...

loved your facts, specially the turtle and red carpet ones.

Lisa M Griffin said...

Thanks. It was fun but a little strange to ponder yourself to come up with what could be considered "unimportant". Like art, being important, is pretty subjective. I do think being a red carpet junket would qualify more than anything else as being quite unimportant in the grand scheme of things. =)

Fannie said...

Hi, Lisa. It was great to learn more about you.

I was a bit thrown by the "unimportant" things, but it gives one a chance to pause and consider its meaning. Personally, I think it's subjective, and I believe all things are important.

Thanks for playing.

Melissa & Emmitt said...

hi lisa!
i am absolutely in love with your starfish! your colors are wonderful, and it really just transports me to a beach looking for shells too. how wonderful!
:) melissa

Alicia PadrĂ³n said...

Hi Linda thanks for the tag! Loved reading about your things :o)

I will post mine soon.. my internet is so bad now.. comeas and goes.. awful!

Anyways thanks, and love your starfish! :o)