Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Day 3 of 21, "Ballet"


Well, thanks to Alicia stopping by and letting me know that the 21 day creative challenge doesn't limit you to 15 minutes per exercise, I was able to get a little more done in my favorites series ATCs. Todays card is "Ballet".

As a little girl and even into my teens, I was involved in dance. My favorite class was ballet and I still love watching it to this day. Our family makes the Nutcracker ballet an annual tradition during the holidays and it's something I look forward to every year. My daughter is now enrolled in dance classes and it brings back so many memories to see her twirling around the studio floor. For todays exercise, I did return to prismacolor pencils BUT I wanted to try and simplify the illustration (I am a nut about details), really get down to basics. 

I began thinking about my daughter in her ballet class while I did this. She rarely smiles as she is dancing... it's not that she doesn't enjoy herself, instead she concentrates on learning the steps that hard. You can almost see the wheels turning in her head while she studies her dance teacher. 

Yesterday afternoon was the exception, as she was nearing the end of her routine, I caught the sweetest smile skim over her face as she crossed the dance floor and it was such a wonderful sight to see. So, this study is dedicated to my little ballerina and all the other young dancers out there... may all your dreams come true. =)

6 comments:

Alicia PadrĂ³n said...

Oh love what you wrote and the illustration goes perfect with it! I'm sure your daughter will love this :o)

Tom Barrett said...

Nice illustrations so far in your 21 day challenge. Look forward to seeing the wild horse rife in color.

Monica said...

Hi Lisa-- Like you most of my illustrations take longer than 15 minutes (except for those really quick and messy sketches! The important thing is to do different things, and just make oneself practice a little more than usual, at least for me.
You've been doing great, this latest post of the little ballerina girl is lovely. I also love monochromatic work, so "shoe" is one of my favorites so far. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Melissa & Emmitt said...

Good morning Lisa!
I love your new ATC and you are the best mom ever! Your love for your daughter and of being a mom shines through in every word!
m

Candace Trew Camling said...

what a cute ATC! great job!

Fannie said...

What a sweet dedication, beautiful ATC, and wonderful story. Thanks for sharing all, Lisa!