Monday, May 12, 2008

Spring Cleaning Surprise Illustration


While completing a few projects, I also wanted to make time for an entry into the SCBWI illustration contest "Spring Cleaning Surprise". I really liked the idea behind this theme.... a spring cleaning frenzy, a character, and a closet that hadn't been opened in a long, long time. So what would be inside? 

I had a bunch of ideas for this, dinosaurs, a fairy-tale land, the moon, etc. but it was my son who told me it would be so cool if there were penguins in the closet. That said, I decided that it certainly would be surprising to throw open a closet door and find it was a secret entry into the Artic (not to mention cutting down on the expense of traveling there). I had to throw in a polar bear too. You can't have a tundra scene without a polar bear. 

The illustration was created in watercolor and prismacolor on Arches paper. Would love your thoughts on this one. I hope you have a wonderful start to the week and thanks for taking the time to stop by today. 

3 comments:

Tom Barrett said...

Nice job on this! I like how you placed the girl against the wall in a "half-hiding-half curious" pose.

Thanks for the comment on my blog!

Lisa M Griffin said...

Thank you for stopping by and checking things out. And yes, the girls posture was pretty important to me in this piece, especially since you weren't given the benefit of seeing her face.

Chrissy Fanslau said...

Lisa this is a beautiful image! Very nice color choices! :O)