Friday, May 9, 2008

Teddy Bear Picnic


What a fun and busy day - still working on a few projects. One is laid out with the first wash of color (so far so good), the other I am still struggling with the composition. So... I have decided to set that illustration aside for a day or two and let it sit... see what happens. I kept picturing a really skewed perspective for this one piece, but can't seem to get the sketch right. Luckily, I do have time left for that project, better to lay it aside than try and force something that isn't coming at the moment.

I am posting an ATC that I just traded. This little bear was my fastest trade to date. Doesn't it feel good when something you created is snatched up quick? Art is so subjective. I have created ATCs as studies, for pleasure, and/or intended to be a "crowd pleaser". It's usually the cards that I have made from the heart that go the fastest. It goes to show that as an artist, it is always best to create what is true to you. I try to explain this concept to my children A LOT, that art is very subjective. What one person likes, the next person won't, so it's most important to create what you love... then it doesn't really matter what other people think (it just might sting a little).

It's a tough road we travel as artists. Continually putting yourself out there, pouring your time and energy into creative piece after piece. Isn't it nice to know that we don't have to travel this road alone. Thanks for stopping by today, and for being a part of my journey as an artist.

1 comment:

Melissa & Emmitt said...

Hi Lisa!
What a great post and bear! :) yOu are so right. If we make art to only please others, we will never be happy. It is so true of all things. What a g great life lesson!
Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Mother's Day!
Melissa