Saturday, May 3, 2008

Tortoise


It has been a busy few days and will continue to be a busy weekend. We have had family in and are planning for a party tomorrow for my oldest sons birthday. Unfortunately, the weather has been predicted as cold and rainy... not a good forecast for a planned outdoor party for a bunch of kids. However, I am taking my mind off that, by posting to my wonderful, little blog. =) I decided to include my "Tortoise" to the site. It is an older piece, but one that I am still very proud of. He was created using pen & ink and luma dyes. 

In continuing with my animal fun facts - Do you know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise? A tortoise, like the illustration above, is a land-dwelling reptile that eats low lying shrubs and grasses. Tortoises don't have webbed feet and live in climates that are hot and dry. Turtles, spend most of their lives in water and usually have webbed feet for swimming. Turtles can be found in both the ocean, and fresh water. 

Ok, I'm feeling better now, and am off to frost cupcakes and create a race track birthday cake. Have a great weekend and thanks for the visit.

6 comments:

rbaird said...

He's wonderfully rendered!
I once saved a turtle from the middle of the highway. Poor little guy was trying to get to the ditch on the other side and someone flipped him!
He lived and I let him go a few days later! :)

Diana Evans said...

wow Lisa...he is amazing...nice work and the detail is perfect...and great that you included some fun facts...I love learning new things....

I hope you had a lovely Birthday for your son!

Fannie said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL line work, details . . . thanks for the info. Great post!

Happy Belated Birthday to your son. Hope you had good weather for your party.

Tiddly Inks said...

What a lovely tortoise! :)
Amazing detail...

Have a great birthday party.

ValGalArt said...

Amazing details and a wonderful piece! I hope the party was fun :)

Susan said...

wonderful turtle! He looks so content. Like you caught him off guard, but he doesn't mind.