Monday, June 16, 2008

Day 21 of Creative Challenge "Give Wings"


My last entry for the 21 day Creative Challenge and I saved the very best for last - our kids.
First, I would like to say how much I loved this challenge. It was so much fun to try and experiment with new techniques and styles, as well as to receive the different comments on my work.  When I began this challenge, I knew that the last entry would be something totally different from what I traditionally do and that it would focus on our kids. There was so much inspiration from all of my fellow bloggers that I decided to combine lots of different attributes into one mixed media piece. I wanted the warmth of Diana's work, the soft color palette of Alicia's, a touch of fiber and sentiment like Fannie's creations, the dynamic collage technique of Nancy's, the charm of Melissa's art and the playfulness of Roberta's. I know, a lot to compile into one piece... but I think I did it! I have also submitted this last entry to Mixed Media Monday, as I feel it totally fits in with their wonderful theme this week, Try Something New.

This piece is entitled "Give Wings" which is probably one of the hardest challenges of being a parent. The constant need to protect and nuture. Wanting to shelter your "babies" from any harm or worry, to give them all the love you possibly can, while preparing them to be strong individuals. It's the letting go when all you want to do is hold on tight. It's understanding that my own parents had the strength and courage to do this for me and that I will find that strength to do it too. But for now, I just want them to snuggle up on my lap a little while longer and cover their sweet faces in kisses.

So that's it... the end of my creative challenge. I hope day 21 was worth the wait. Thanks for stopping by today, for your comments, and constant inspiration. =)

18 comments:

Stempelchaotin said...

Wow this is wonderful.
Gorgeous creation.

NANCY LEFKO said...

Wow, what a honor to have served in some small way as an inspiration for this wonderful piece.

You have fulfilled all your desires in this piece and it is a gem. And those babies....ooooo...I can see how you can't help but cover those sweet faces in kisses. Your post is spot on as well...I struggle with that "letting go" challenge on a daily basis as my oldest is 16. (and it feels like just yesterday that he was the size of your babes.)

I thoroughly enjoyed this work and all you said, as I thoroughly enjoy visiting your blog every day. Thanks for your support and encouragement as well.

Lisa M Griffin said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful response. And Nancy, I really appreciate your comments since I greatly admire what you do.

rbaird said...

What wonderful inspirations you have there! They're beautiful!

Thanks for the mention Lisa! Your so sweet!

Melissa & Emmitt said...

hi lisa
your final piece is so wonderful. your family is so lucky to have you! i love your art. it inspires me everyday. you are wonderful!
xo
melissa

Gillian said...

such a beautiful layout and tribute to your adorable kids.

Femmy said...

wonderful work!!!

david santos said...

Excellent post.
Nice, nice and very nice Baby`s!
Happy forever.

Lisa M Griffin said...

Thanks so much for all your wonderful comments. I was unsure about working in this medium because it was so different from what I normally do, but I am happy with the results.=)

herminesplace said...

Beautiful

Alicia PadrĂ³n said...

Awww this is beautiful Lisa.. what a great piece for a grand finale!

Your kids are going to love it. Everything you say is so true... beautiful :o)

Gina Perry said...

Oh, so sweet! It's been fun seeing how you've clearly enjoyed the 21 days. Congrats on finishing - I have no doubt you'll continue to draw and create!

Diana Evans said...

Hi Lisa...

this piece is wonderful...I just love all the details and how sweet of you to mention me...and all the other wonderful artists....I love how you captured special things from each person...

your blog is always so much fun and so warm and thoughtful...I am so thrilled to know you and look forward to seeing more and more of your wonderful work...

You are an inspiration to us all and I think you should just turn this 21 day exercise into an every day exercise...

we all love popping by to see the magic you create...

thank you for sharing!!!

Lisa M Griffin said...

I will certainly keep the drawing and experimenting up - it has really made me spread my wings as an artist as well!
Thanks for your support and encouragement.

~*~Patty said...

Very nice, so much texture and interest!

Candace Trew Camling said...

very nice job! this is lovely!

Seona said...

This is such a beautiful piece of work!

Fannie said...

Day 21--Congratulations! Well done, Lisa. You've given your sweet children wings, while simultaneously giving yourself a pair through your creative challenge and art. Now fly high and spread your influence through your art and generosity.

I feel honored to have been mentioned among the list of artists in this post, and especially to know that I have influenced you in some way.

It's exciting to see you grow. Thanks for sharing and continue to soar!!!! You're a great mother and a great artist.