Friday, June 27, 2008

Greetings....


Good Morning. I have been thinking a lot about how to branch out as an illustrator and have decided that I would like to pursue the greeting card market. As a consumer, I am addicted to them - purchasing postcards and greeting cards like they are mini-masterpieces. Some I frame or tack to my bulletin board, others I set aside for the perfect occasion. I have worked with clients to create wedding invitations as well and really enjoyed these projects. One of my favorites was for an outdoor wedding, with the bride wanting a "Midsummer Night Dream" feel. The piece came out incredible with foil embossed dragonflies and a step card insert (boy did I want to turn back time and redo my own wedding invite!)
Recently, I have had some inquiries from this market, seems like now is the time to focus more on my card efforts. This summer, I intend to complete my new illustration promotion and develop greeting card samples. I have created a few comps using finished illustrations and overlayed those with text, keeping in mind that consumers view the top 1/3 portion of the card only when its on display. I'm currently sketching out new ideas for specific holidays and writing copy too. Consider this fair warning that many of my upcoming posts will be centered on greeting cards! 

Aside from this endeavor, I am working on a few illustrations for magazine assignments, which I love too. The stories are clever and it's great to work alongside talented writers.

Many of you will recognize this illustration, it is a favorite of mine and just touches my heart. What is your take... would you purchase this design as a holiday card? Why or Why not?

15 comments:

Candace Trew Camling said...

I would purchase it for a total animal lover. It also looks like a card that would donate some of the proceeds to a global warming charity or something environmentally friendly. You could look into "recycled greetings" company. I don't know if they do anything like that. I worked in house for American Greetings for a while...I know they take some freelancers.

Lisa M Griffin said...

Hi Candace-
Thanks for offering these suggestions and comments. I have quite a few illustrations dealing with animal awareness and conservation... but some of them may be a little to direct for greeting cards (my seal with a zipper for example).

Melissa & Emmitt said...

hi lisa!
this is so exciting! i love cards too. they are a wonderful way to collect and share your favorite art.
i think the polar bears with the snowman make a perfect holiday card!
how exciting!
:) melissa

Lisa M Griffin said...

Thanks Melissa-
It is exciting and hopefully I will have positive news to share in the coming months. Love that we both collect cards as well... most of my friends think I am a bit wacky to do that, especially when I purchase them for no reason other than how they appeal to me. Have a good weekend.

Diana Evans said...

wonderful work Lisa...and what fun to start working on greeting cards...you should also add some of your work to greetingcarduniverse.com....this is a place where all kinds of artists can make cards and post them...the company sells the cards and the artist gets a commission...

I know you will do well and I wish you all the best!!!

hugs and have a great weekend...

p.s. love that you added your photo to your profile!!!

Dada's place said...

Hi Lisa,
I like greeting cards, too especially those with cute animals, and your card is so beautiful, colours are great, the atmosphere is wonderful... and the answer is : yes, I would buy it!
Dragana

Forever Young said...

i would definitely purchase it, it's fun and frolicsome and cute and jolly. good luck to you.

Lisa M Griffin said...

Thanks so much for all your kind comments... I especially like "jolly" - that is the perfect description for a holiday card! =)
And thanks Diana, thought I would put a face with the name - unfortunately illustrated self-portraits are not within my comfort realm.

ValGalArt said...

not only does it make a great card it looks like the cover of a book that you illustrated or have written. Maybe that is in your future too? :)

Lisa M Griffin said...

Thanks for the compliment Valerie. I am still planning on pursuing the childrens book market, so who know what the future will bring. =)

marianne said...

Oh it is very lovely and the colors!!!! Mostly white with wonderful color accents.
I think you will do great with your designs . I love animals so I will always go for a card with animals.
Wish you succes on your new path!
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your sweet comment on Panta Rhei.
Greetings! >M<

Chrissy Fanslau said...

Hi Lisa

This is a great image, would appeal to a lot of people! I would buy it, if I didn't make my own greeting cards. :O) I think your work is great for this market.

Have a nice weekend!

Tracy said...

Wow, it's gorgeous, that's for sure! The only thing I could think of is changing the "For Our Son" to something a little more generic, not limiting your audience. But then again, this may cause people who are looking for that specific card to think, "This is the perfect one!" I think it is beautiful and you have a great future in whatever art endeavors you choose!

Lisa M Griffin said...

Thanks Tracy! Your wonderful comments were so encouraging to read this morning over a nice cup of coffee. Gotta love Monday mornings!

Emily said...

very sweet image! would definetly suit a card but I agree with Tracy about the text.
good luck in this venture!
cheers!