Sunday, June 1, 2008

IF- Baby & Day 16 of Creative Challenge


So, I am finding that on the weekends it is becoming a bit tough to get two days posted for the challenge. I also really wanted to participate in Illustration Friday this week, "baby" is such a great, open theme!

What I have been working on this weekend is the above illustration "Farm Baby". I have wanted to do a farm scene and when the IF topic came up, everything just clicked into place. As far as favorites go, one of my wonderful childhood memories growing up in Maine was visiting a friend of mine who lived on a farm. We were able to feed lots of different animals... cows, chickens and pigs, and had all sorts of adventures in the barn at her house. Truly, one of my favorite ways to spend the summer as a young girl.

I created this illustration entirely in prismacolor on a new paper that I have discovered, Cartiera Magnani Hot Press. I had intended to do a wash of watercolor first, but after experimenting on a piece, I just loved the softness it brought out in the colored pencils. The stock is lovely, soft, durable and feels like brushed cotton. I am in love and will be sure to order more. 

Thanks for stopping by today and feel free to leave a comment or two! =)

13 comments:

jcdillustration said...

I am glad that I clicked on your image for the detail - the pattern on your trees is so pleasing. Your style lends itself to the farm scene because your layered shapes have the look of appliqueed fabric.

L.A. French said...

Love this! You're so right abou the softness of it!

Thanks so much for sharing about the Cartiera Magnani Hot Press...it sounds wonderful.

carli said...

your illustration is beautiful. we live out in the country and I love to drive around in the spring and see all the new babies.

Diana Evans said...

wow! this piece is so sweet...the softness is perfect for it...well done...

Tracy said...

Very nice illustration! Those cows look perfectly symmetrical! Great work :)
I agree...I didn't notice the patterns on your trees until I clicked for a larger image.
I'm loving those cows! I remember bottle feeding the calves when I was little then they'd suck your entire hand in their mouths! Kinda' icky!

Lisa M Griffin said...

Thanks for your comments. I did have fun on this one and want to try using some more linework type textures on new pieces as well. For those that are interersted in the paper, I purchased it online at ASW.

Kstyles said...

Very nice!

Dot said...

aw, so sweet! there's just so much you can do with this theme!

Melissa & Emmitt said...

Hi Lisa!
The cows on the farm are wonderful! Thanks for sharing that new paper. It does make them look soft so that you can touch them!
:) Melissa

zime said...

Hi! Thanks for your lovely comments!! This illo is so sweet!!
(^v^)

platitudinal said...

Lisa, you are right about the sweet soft effect the picture has. I always think that cows have beautiful, soulful eyes. And, your cows definitely have those eyes :) Beautiful picture!

Tom Barrett said...

Very cute!

ValGalArt said...

i love this so much, the textures and shading are wonderful! i love farmhouses too!