Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Arty Girlz Challenge - Greeting Card





This weeks challenge at Arty Girlz Blog is "Sketch", they provide a mock up sketch with three squares and three embellishments which are open for interpretation in this creative venue.
I decided to work on an everyday/thinking of you greeting card concept using potted herbs. Above are a few scans detailing the process. Using the shapes provided in the challenge, I outlined them on one sheet of watercolor paper. From this, I began sketching out my paper designs and worked on color comps. Once laid out in pencil, I applied a few layers of color. Working in this way helped keep the color scheme intact - I tend to "float around" the page, applying color to each smaller design as I go which helps the colors stay uniform in the process.
Once the illustrations are done, I trim them down and cut out my matching ribbons and select a brad (2 ribbons + 1 brad = 3 embellishments).

Voila! My hand-made everyday greeting card inspired by the Arty Girlz Challenge. I really had a ball with this exercise, it made me push my original herb greeting card idea even further.
Thanks for stopping by today and do check out the Arty Girlz blog if you haven't yet... it really is wonderful creative resource.

16 comments:

Melissa & Emmitt said...

hi lisa!
your card is wonderful and i love hearing and seeing the creative process. very fun and inspiring!
melissa

Diana Evans said...

Hi Lisa...wonderful work and so thrilled you joined in...I did my own take on the theme...lol...

Have a wonderful day and keep creating all these magical things!!!

hugs
Diana

marianne said...

What a beautiful card! I will check out the link . Thanks!
Have a great day Lisa!

Julie said...

Lisa your card is fantastic and its lovely to see the different stages

Thanks for joining in with the Arty Girlz challenge once again xx

RubyMay said...

thanks for showing how you made your card. It is awesome.

Lisa M Griffin said...

Thanks Melissa: I always mean to add the process more, but sometimes to stop and scan the item once you are "in the groove" is just so disruptive. This time I made the effort to do so, glad you liked it.

Diana: I learned about Arty Girlz through your blog and seeing all your fantastic pieces, so thanks for the tip.

Marianne: I hope you do check out the site, you could do some wonderful things with your mandalas there.

Thanks Julie, I am having fun with your challenges.

And thanks RubyMay for stopping by my blog, I really enjoyed visiting yours and seeing all your cards and embellishments.

marianne said...

Hi Lisa,
Here is a link with a step by step
Sea Mandala Maybe you mean this?

Greetings!

NANCY LEFKO said...

I love hearing about the process that made this beautiful card...love your color choices.

Thanks for the great plug for my art....

And I totally agree with what you said about Ebay...I think it really is the place for bargain hunters...that's why I just listed some sale items there....we'll see how they do.

Have a great day !!!

andrea said...

I love reading creative process posts. This is great. Thanks for sharing.

studio lolo said...

The results are beautiful! I love it when I'm encouraged to break out of the box and try new things. I like your card designs, and the moon ATC is charming as well.
I followed your link from your comment on Auntie Mim's NH post. I miss New England so much and follow links to get a taste of home :)

Lisa M Griffin said...

Thanks Nancy and let me know how it turns out with Ebay, maybe the tide is changing over there! =)

Andrea, I really enjoyed your blog - thanks for the comments.

LoLo: I often enjoy visiting your blog too, thanks for the comments about my cards and Moon ATC.

Jane said...

Such inspiration on your blog and I adore this card you made for the Arty Girlz!
Jx

crissi said...

Beautiful card Lisa thanks for showing us the stages it took to make it.

Thanks for joining in with the Arty Girlz challenge,

crissi xx

Lisa M Griffin said...

Thanks Jane & Crissi, I had so much fun with this challenge and am glad that you both enjoyed seeing the process of the card come to life. Thanks for stopping by.

ValGalArt said...

this is so pretty!

ValGalArt said...

Thank You for your comment about my ratboy. It means so much!