Thursday, August 14, 2008

Arty Girlz Challenge - No patterned paper

When we returned from our vacation in the White Mountains, I was toying with the idea of creating a "Wish You Were Here" type card... then I checked out the Arty Girlz challenge and decided to work my idea into their theme. 
Honestly, I am not entirely sold on this card. It has all the elements that I wanted but the composition is "eh". There is a map of NH in the background with the lake print on top, a few old stamps, sticker, ribbon and brads (just love those embellishments)... topped off with a few coats of Modge Podge. Part of the problem was the wrinkling that occured (the card stock wasn't thick enough). I like the corresponding envelope though, which is something that is often neglected in greeting card designs.
Overall, the card is cute and natural looking, but I consider it more of a learning exercise... which is fine because whats the point of experimenting if we don't walk away with some bit of new, creative, knowledge. 
Thanks for stopping by today and don't forget to leave a comment before you go. I really love hearing from my visitors. 

PS What do you think... does a map qualify as patterned paper? I may be riding a technicality on this one, but to me its just a map. =)

13 comments:

Stempelchaotin said...

Wow this is fabulous.
Gorgeous design. Love it.

Fannie said...

I'm interested to know if your map is technically a patterned paper. Great submission, though. I like it.

crissi said...

great take on the challenge lisa and the map looks great.

Thanks for joining in with the Arty Girlz challenge

crissi xx.

Dawn said...

Beautiful - lovely design

ValGalArt said...

In my book a map qualifies as paper, patterned paper and art! Awesome :)

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi lisa
i love your card! it is so creative and fun. isn't mod podge great!
xo
m

NANCY LEFKO said...

great vacation memento....and I think you're OK on this one...a map is a map :)

Chrissy Fanslau said...

Very creative - I like it!

Lisa M Griffin said...

Thanks everyone... and glad to see I am not the only one questioning whether a map is technically patterned paper. =)
Have a good weekend.

Diana Evans said...

oh wow!!! I love this and the map is perfect with it....

I think it is technically patterned paper...but it doesn't matter when you create something so fab!

crissi said...

its me again. The challenge is no patterned paper, as in no designer shop bought stuff and to use other resources so a map def qualifies for the challenge as in my book its other resources :-) Hope thats cleared the is a map ok or not question LOL

Julie said...

Wonderful creation Lisa thats a lovely picture could just imagine myself there

I agree your map is definitely allowed for this challenge

Thanks for joining in with Arty Girlz once again

Julie xx

Lisa M Griffin said...

Thanks Julie and Crissi for clarifying! =)
Have a good weekend.