Tuesday, March 17, 2009

More pen & ink work


This pen and ink illustration was created for an educational publisher as a spot for a workbook. When I was first asked to create this spot, I literally paused... you see I am rather squeamish around bugs and spiders and now I was being asked to create a rather detailed spot of one. Which is why I am so proud of this piece. I faced a fear and then DREW that fear! Nothing against ants, I know that they are hard workers and all (just like artists) but just look at the mandibles on these guys... Y IKES! I had to look at a lot of photos for my research and focus on the job. By looking at the subject as a piece of art, focusing in on one leg at a time and than the mandible followed by the antennae made the process easier. Really, by looking at in in pieces, instead of a whole, helped so much to ease my icky factor. The completed illo still gives me a chill, but it also makes me incredibly proud because I did it AND followed up by illustrating a flea and a spider for the same workbook.
Happy St Patricks Day! I hope the luck of the irish is with you today. =)

11 comments:

Diana Evans said...

wow!!! lisa this is wonderful ...It looks so real...you did a great job!!!

Hugs
Diana

Dot said...

it's really 'cute'--ok, not really-- but a nice job! maybe you should draw a cute ant using all the skills you learned drawing the real one :)

Issi said...

Super drawing :)
Best Wishes,
Issi

Louis said...

This is cool - very well done. I once drew realistic roaches with pen and ink for an exterminator's postcard. It's surprisingly fun to draw bugs.

NANCY LEFKO said...

my son has been drawing ants of all kinds lately....army ants, bulldog ants, you name it....he'd love this....as do I !!!

Tom Barrett said...

Great pen & ink stuff! The foxes came out really nice!

And this ant proves there is more than one way to conquer a fear!

M.M.E. said...

It's so nice to know there are illustrators out there who still work with pen and ink like me. Also, I like your etsy puzzle pieces. Very creative. I just hope you took them from puzzles already missing pieces.

Chickengirl said...

Thanks for sharing your process. I like how you desrcibed looking at a piece/part at a time instead of looking the whole bug. It turned out excellent!

Michelle Henninger said...

How funny! Good for you for over coming your fears. He is one fine looking ant (mandibles and all!) :)

Bella Sinclair said...

Lisa! Your pen & pink pieces are fantastic! The fur a couple of posts down is remarkable. Beautiful works. I'm always a big admirer or pen & ink, precisely because I just cannot do it myself. I like this little ant, too. My best friend in high school nicknamed me Ant, so I'm biased. :)

marianne said...

Wow what an achievement Lisa!
It is superbly done.
Liked the story with it.
I see wonder in all animals and while using one I haven´t used before in a mandala I also make a study and always find out lots of thing I didn´t know before and then the animal becomes even more fascinating.
I bet after this you will be looking at ants in a different way from now on......
How nice you were asked to work for a book! Congrats

Have a nice day!