Saturday, March 27, 2010

IF - Rescue


I have already seen many of the wonderful entries submitted for the theme at IF this week, "Rescue". Seeing the entries made me think, as I often do, about how so many talented individuals from across the globe, can develop such different ideas and works of art on the same topic. It's the artists slant on the world, so varied and deeply rooted into who that person is, how he/she chooses to create, and speak through their art. Really powerful. Yet - what makes this all possible, besides talent and dedication to craft? What makes art possible is my take on IF this week - imagination. Without imagination what does an artist truly have? Can you be an artist without it... is raw talent enough?
This recycled pencil sketch is my "rough" interpretation of imagination. How we need to rescue, revive and foster imagination in ourselves and those around us. It is why I LOVED teaching art classes to children. Their innocent and thoughtful outlook on the world around them was filled with burgeoning imagination and life, it was inspiring on so many levels. As adults, it can be so hard to maintain our imagination - to keep it fresh. But we must, since it is such an important part of who we are.

I strive to keep my imagination alive and you know what else? I do believe in fairies.

15 comments:

Diana Evans said...

wonderful piece Lisa!!! lovely work...can't wait to see it in colour!!!

NANCY LEFKO said...

Wonderful post...glorious sketch. My youngest truly believes there are fairies in our woods. :)

Candace Trew Camling said...

I really love the squirrel! Favorite animal!!

Thanks for visiting my blog... happy to hear you like my new header! Makes me feel good!

have a good weekend!

maggie said...

I love being able to paint from my imagination...that's definitley one of the reasons why I paint fairies.

Caroline said...

Realism is definitely not my strong suit... I prefer imagining. Great post!

andrea said...

Lovely!

Jack Foster said...

Beautiful illustration Lisa. Your line work is amazing. God bless you for teaching those little ones. Yes the seeds of imagination will reap an amazing harvest.

Lisa M Griffin said...

Thanks for all the wonderful comments, and I hope everyone has a creative and happy weekend.

Krista Meister said...

So nice to find your blog, Lisa, thanks for finding me first. Your illustrations are adorable! P.S. congrats on the new website/blog, too.

Mônica said...

Lovely, Lisa, both the illustration and your thoughts (and I too believe in fairies!)
:-)

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Oh my goodness, I totally agree with you Lisa!!! What wise, wise words for all of us. Something happens to our imagination after while. I think we are so filled with reality this and that that we don't use our imaginations anymore and as illustrators we really need to nurture it and hone our craft. Imagination is one of the tools of the trade we need it like we need air and I for one love coming to your site and our other fellow artist to see how your imaginations are being inspired and stretched. This is so wonderful. You have really encouraged me today with this post. Beautiful illustration Lisa. Excellent post indeed!

Jane said...

I remember being in a first grade classroom when I heard the teacher exclaim to a student, "Why are you coloring that tree purple?!" I was horrified.

To Imagine is EVERYTHING!

Your illustrations are lovely!

ValGalArt said...

heehee, me tooooooooooo! :D must be why i like you so much too ;)
lovely words and image, thank you dear :)

Lisa M Griffin said...

Love that my sentiment was shared by so many talented individuals!

marianne said...

Beautiful piece and post Lisa!