Wednesday, September 29, 2010

October Artist Highlight - Diana Evans


The lovely, talented and business savy Diana Evans is the October Artist Highlight. She graciously took time from her busy studio schedule to answer a few questions about her career and views as an artist. Grab a chair, sit back and relax while you read her wonderful interview below.


"You will be successful if you stay true to your own style and your work." - diana evans


What is your favorite medium to work in and how would you describe your
technique?

I love working with various mediums. I love ink and paper, watercolor, acrylics on canvas, wood and Pyrography and also digital work.
When I work on my picture books I always work with my large trusty sketchbook and work on the drafts in pencil. I usually then send the pencil sketches to the client for approval. Once the pencil sketches are approved, I move to the ink part of the process. Still using my sketchbook I create the ink outlined work. Once I finish up the ink piece, I remove all of the pencil marks and scan the piece into my computer. Once scanned, I open the piece up in Photoshop and lose myself in adding color to the piece. It is amazing what you can do with digital color and texture. Then the illustration is complete and I move to the next piece. Depending on the client, I either work on one and finish one completely or work on several pencil pieces for approval and several ink and color pieces all at once.

Is there a medium that you haven't tried yet, but would like to?
I keep purchasing this stuff called Paperclay and I plan on creating art dolls with it, but sadly I haven’t had a chance to try it out. So I would have to say Paperclay is a medium I have heard a lot about and would love to try.

What part of creating an illustration is the most fun?
I feel so blessed to be able to wake up and head to my Studio each and every day. I wake up to create and I have to pinch myself every once and a while to make sure I am not dreaming all this stuff up. The best part of illustration for me is sitting and working in my sketchbook. There is a freedom about it and you can bring your sketchbooks with you where ever you go.
While using my sketchbook I never run the battery low or delete something by accident. I also love seeing our son’s reactions to my work. At the end of each day I show him my work and he always says the sweetest things to me as he reviews it. It really fills the heart and soul and that is why I love my work.
I love knowing that even when I am gone from this World, a little part of me will be left behind in a picture book, a painting or a sculpture. I feel that leaving a footprint in the World is important and this is another reason I feel blessed to be doing what I do.

Describe what your dream project would be.
My dream project would be to work on a picture book with Gene Simmons. I think it would be hilarious.

What piece of advice would you give to aspiring artists?

This question is very easy for me right now. Whatever you do, never try to be someone else. Always stay true to you and your craft. We all have our favorite Illustrators and Artists out there, never try to mimic them. Use them for inspiration. You will be successful if you stay true to your own style and your work. My style is very different and you either love it or hate it. The hardest thing for me was hearing from the people that didn’t like my style. One day I was so stressed out about what an Agent’s opinion of my style, that I finally decided my work was about me and it had to make me happy too. This new thinking changed my journey for the better.
The other piece of advice I can offer aspiring artists and illustrators would be not to take on projects that you’re not passionate about. At the end of the day we are all doing something to make money and earn a living, but you don’t have to work on something you don’t like or feel comfortable with just because you need the money. Work and have passion for your art and the jobs will come. In the mean time live within your means and always believe in your dreams.
Ok…I may have some more….

Work, work, work… get a website, share your work, hone your craft, your style and market your work. Participate in weekly fun challenges and just create once and a while for the fun of it. You never want to lose your love for what you do. Passion about what you do can make a huge difference in your overall success. Avoid Spec work. Clients should never ask you to create something and then say they may use it or may pay you. Also, avoid a lot of illustration contests. This is really spec work wearing a costume. Your time is valuable so use it the way you want to use it. Run your Illustration work like a Business. If you want to chat more or have any illustration questions, you and your readers can e-mail me anytime. info@dianaevans.ca

You are invited to donate one piece of your artwork to ANY museum
worldwide. What piece of art would you choose and which museum would you donate it to?


This is a super funny question…but I would have to say I would love to donate a self portrait of me and have it hanging in the Louvre right beside the Mona Lisa. My portrait would be of me with a cupcake…and Mona would want one too….

Thank you Diana!
For more information on Diana visit her website at www.dianaevans.ca or her blog at dianaevans.blogspot.com
She also has a few online stores to visit as well.
www.dianaevans.etsy.com
Art Stamps at www.stamped.etsy.com
Custom Shop at www.customstuff.etsy.com

19 comments:

Diana Evans said...

Hi Lisa!!! thank you for contacting me....and featuring my interview for the October Artist highlight....

Lisa M Griffin said...

Your work and positive energy is an inspiration! Thanks for sharing and contributing with this interview. :)

Sophia said...

What an awesome interview. I loved learning more about Diana. I think she is a super artist. :) Thanks for sharing more about her with us.

Diane said...

What a fabulous post & such a treat to see that it is all about Diana Evans! Thanks so much, I thoroughly enjoyed the interview & Diana's gorgeous work!

Heather said...

I am so glad I got to read more about the very talented Diana Evans! It was a really great interview, too! Love the self-portrait with the cupcake. Great advice, too!
xxoo

Grannie Annie said...

I have enjoyed seeing Diana's artwork on her blog it is always lovely and well done. I am happy to learn more about her...I especially liked what she said about staying true to your own style...excellent advice.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Diana is so very, very talented and positive. I love her delight work and color palettes. They just work so well. She can do something so sweet and child friendly or something wonderful for your home. She's got fabulous skills and doesn't mind doing the hard work. I know that we are going to be seeing more and more of her fabulous work.
V

marianne said...

Oh how nice this is!!!
Diana is certainly one of my favorite artist and such a sweet one as well.
AND............... I happen to own the Mona Lisa Original! No need to tell you I love that one! I see it every day and enjoy it every day!

Thanks for this highlight!

have a nice day Lisa!

Tammie Lee said...

This is a wonderful interview of Diana. For some reason it makes me smile. I feel as though I got to know her better and I always love hearing artists talk about their art/work and passion. Thank you!

Knit 1 for the Road said...

Cool interview - it's really nice to learn more about Diana and her work. - Margaret

Taluula said...

A good post and interesting to learn a little more about Diana.

Bella Sinclair said...

WOOOHOOO! Great interview with the most talented and prolific Diana! I'd love to see that Gene Simmons picture book. Hahaha Wow, so encouraging and inspirational. You go, girl!

ArtSnark said...

really fun interview! Love learning more about Diana's artistic journey.

Also love the last Q&A, made me smile!

Manon Doyle said...

I've been following Diana for a while now. She is an amazing artist and woman. I'm so happy to have read this interview to learn more about her.

Jan said...

Great interview Diana and Lisa.
Enjoyed it!
Jan

Lisa M Griffin said...

I am thrilled that so many of you found the interview helpful. Hopefully, I will continue to find artists that will be as positive, energetic and filled with helpful advice for the upcoming months... so far I have quite a few talented individuals lined up. :)

Jessie said...

Great interview thanks so much :) xx

Fannie said...

Great interview, Lisa! Thanks for sharing Diana's art and heart with all of us. This is inspiring and makes me want to do better at creating "my" art "my" way. Diana definitely is an example of how to be true to your own art. Thanks Lisa and Diana! ♥♫♥

michele said...

Hi Lisa, It's so nice of you to share your blog and promote other artists! I'd like to share an award with you! I'll post it a little later, so please visit! Thanks! :o)