Thursday, February 10, 2011

How do you get your brushes clean?


If you are like me, then you love your paintbrushes. So, how well do you take care of them? AND more importantly, how well do you clean them? Brushes are an investment and with proper care can have a long, happy life. Here are some options (including a green solution) on how to properly care for your brushes.

In stores and online:

Winsor & Newton Brush Cleaner and Restorer (16oz $7.90 at dickblick.com)
cleans dried acrylics, oils, and alkyds with no damage to the brush head or loss of fibers. It can be used on natural or synthetic brushes. Effective within minutes for oil colors (hours for dried acrylics), and leaves no oil residue.This water soluble cleaner is non-toxic, biodegradable, non-flammable, and has low vapor.

Master's Brush Cleaner and Preserver ( 2.5 oz tub $5.75 at jerrysartarama.com)
Makes cleaning, conditioning, and preserving your brushes easier. This unique product works on oils, acrylics, watercolor, varnishes, stains, shellac and most synthetic finishes. It will also restore most hardened brushes to like-new condition.

Go Green alternatives to make at Home:
Soften hard paintbrushes in hot vinegar for a few minutes. Then wash paintbrush in mild soap and warm water and let dry.

A similar tip from TotalArtSoul.com, take a glass jar and place a bar of ivory soap inside. Fill with enough water to cover, and drop your brushes in. The soap makes a grey slurry mix in the jar. Let sit for a couple of days then remove and rinse with soap and water and let dry. This tip is supposed to work especially well for brushes that are hard and crusty with paint.

If you have any cleaning tips for brushes or for the artist studio, feel free to share. It is a great way to help other creatives learn new ideas about their craft.
Have a good day! ;)

4 comments:

marianne said...

When I start reading your post I thought of my brush cleaner and then when I scrolled down there it was.....
I have the same and I love this one!
Bought it at Blick's when I was in the US. It sure does a good job!

Hope you are doing fine!
Have a nice day Lisa!

Lisa M Griffin said...

Smart minds think alike! ;)
Hope your doing wonderful, enjoy your weekend!

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

THIS STUFF IS GREATTTTTTTTTTTT!!! I have it too. Cleans the brushes so well and leaves them nice and soft. How are you Beautiful Lady??? How is the family?? Hope that you all are doing well and that you are busy, busy, busy with work and creating. Thanks so much Lisa for always being a voice of encouragement to me. I have told you before how much I appreciate it, but I am so humbled by your open support and loving support of me. YOU young lady are such a rare find in this world. Like a precious pearl. Thanks so much my friend. From the bottom of my heart I say, "Thanks."
V

Lisa M Griffin said...

Thanks Vanessa! I always enjoy your visits and am very thankful to count you as one of my friends. You are such an inspiration to me.
Have a great weekend. :)